About the Department
Every theatre artist must be both a critic and a creator. The mission of the Department of Theatre Arts is to provide our majors with a thorough grounding in the theory and practice of theatre. The curriculum places particular emphasis on developing aesthetic awareness of the individual theatrical arts and exploring their collaborative relationships. The program is designed to prepare students for careers in a variety of fields, including the entertainment industry, education, and business.
Goals for Theatre Arts Majors
- To develop the capacity to create theatre and present it in a public context.
- To recognize and to be able to articulate the basic characteristics of the various theatre arts from both a chronological and global perspective.
- To develop an appreciation of theatre as an art, and in their own work demonstrate an understanding of aesthetic principles.
- To understand theatre as a process and to develop competency with a variety of theatre skills.
- To demonstrate competency in research, analysis, evaluation, collaboration, problem solving, and visual and verbal communication.
- To recognize and evaluate their own individual progress toward becoming an independent creative artist.
- To demonstrate an enhanced level of proficiency a particular aspect of the discipline.
Areas of concentration
Theatre Arts majors choose to concentrate in one of six areas, once they have completed a common core of courses:
- Drama Education
- Musical Theatre
The Theatre Arts Department season includes three or four main stage plays and several lab productions during the academic year. Lab productions may be student directed/designed.
Work in your area of interest
While there are many acting opportunities, CSUSB also boasts an award-winning technical program. Several design students have placed well in regional and national competition at KC/ACTF and USITT conferences. In addition, theatre students are encouraged to work with faculty as Assistant Directors, Designers, Stage Managers, and in Theatre Administration. Theatre faculty encourage highly-motivated and qualified students to develop their own creative efforts. New student play scripts and innovative approaches to theatre are strongly encouraged.